"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~~Wisdom from Dr. Seuss:

7.09.2011

To The Ladies....

Yesterday was a miserable rainy down pour day.  A 45min drive took an hour and 20mins.  You couldn't see the car in front of you.  I made this drive for a funeral  for a very special lady.
This beautiful lady is Missy's Momma, Wanda.  Missy and I basically met chewing on the back of a church pew which now seems like a 100 years ago.  I can remember sitting in Wanda's kitchen more times than I can count before Miss and I would go out.  Always smiling, always telling us not to get in trouble and having a twinkle in her eye knowing it was a lost cause.  We had talks about school, boys, Miss, God, and love sitting there on those stools.  I never remember Wanda not smiling.  I remember her praying with me one night at church after my divorce.  We both sat crying, yet she was still smiling.  That was Wanda.   
Missy reminded me so much of her Momma yesterday.  Smiling even through her tears, on the hardest day.
She is going to be deeply missed. 
After the funeral and grave side service a local church provided a meal.  As sad and as miserable as the rain made things, it was great seeing some of the girls from school. There were four of us there.  Everyone else was talking and sharing their condolences with Miss, so we took up the next table and talked.  It had been several years since I had seen them.  We talked of our husbands, kids and furry creatures.  Of ex's and things we'd done years ago.  We laughed until we cried.  Laughed at things we've done.  It's funny how much time goes by and things change, but friends never do.  
Last night I came home telling DH bits and pieces.  Of course he came long after these girls and I had lost contact.  So he was privileged to hear stories new and old.  It reminded me of that old K.T. Oslin song, 
"80's Ladies".  So we weren't really 80's ladies, more like 90's 2000, lol.

Today as I am waiting on my bestie for her birthday day out, I am so thankful to have good friends that are always there.  I'm glad that if there is a need I can call or a funny story to tell. 
Time and distance may separate us by location but friendships that last a lifetime.   

I love ya girls!!  

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Sad circumstance to catch up with everyone but I'm glad you got to catch up.

Cindy said...

So sorry for your loss! Happy that you were able to reconnect with old friends!!