"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~~Wisdom from Dr. Seuss:

9.02.2009

Not So Wordless Wednesday

I'm frustrated and sad.
Yesterday morning on the way to work there was an accident.
A serious, herendous accident.
It was on the interstate. People were completely stopped in the eastbound lane.
A semi twisted in the right hand lane.
The bed of a pickup truck and it's front seat was in the median. The rest of the truck lay in disarayed pieces on the road, in the median, or wherever they landed.
There is one man out of his truck on the westbound side.
People on the eastbound side are in and out of their vehicles but no one inquires to help. Except the guy in the westbound lane and me.
There are no ambulances, only a fire truck, a rescue squad vehichle, and 2 state cops. They are walking around the semi remains. The semi was hauling hazardous chemicals.
As the man and I start across the median I realize why there are no ambulance.
The man in the pickup truck was still there in what was left of the drivers seat.
He was no more. He had left this world to meet his Maker.
As I looked at the guy in the median with me, I realize he saw the man as well.

I don't know how to express the sadness that overwhelmed me.
Not just for the his life that had ended but because there he was, out in the open.
No one with him holding his hand, or holding him in their arms as he had passed.
Morbid? Maybe. I hope it is more human compassion.
I wanted to sit with him until someone came, anyone.
Of course they wouldn't let me.
They came quickly and covered not only him, but from the front end of what was left of the truck to the very back. Like he was just a part of the truck left.
They couldn't move him until the coroner arrived, and the investigation was complete.

I start back to the car. It was as I am on my way back I finally hear people talking. Horns blowing and I think, "Did this man's life mean so little to everyone else? That it is making them fuss, cuss and blow their horns because they are now late? Because it has put a delay in their day?"
What if it was their husband? their Dad? their brother? their son?
Wouldn't they feel different?? Wouldn't they want the people around them to show some sort of respect?
I notice people are flying by in the westbound lane, never slowing down.
I realized then how bad of shape this world is in when you can't even slow down or stop to help a stranger. When we are more worried about "me" than anyone else.
It was just a road block in their day.
My thoughts continued to swim all day.
Did he just leave for work?
Did he just leave from work to head home?
Is his wife at work and doesn't even know yet?
Are his kids at school?

Today my heart and prayers go out to the Robbins family.
Please keep them in your prayers.

3 comments:

Taylor said...

That is so sad. I am shocked that more people did not stop to help. It must have been really sad to witness all of that. I will keep the family in my prayers.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

sure does shake you up when you come close to such tragedies. It seems people are so numbed by things these days.

tammy said...

That makes me sad too. Especially that everyone was concerned about themselves more than what happened.